Sunday, September 27, 2026

Eagle Crossing

Google Earth View: Eagle Crossing
Google Earth View

With solar panels, lithium battery, and inverter loaded, the coast-bound bizmo was on its way, with my car queued behind it in the Blue House (sun bleached) driveway. I was headed at 180 degrees, inland, to my usual stop at Eagle Crossing, a restaurant where Hwy 26 crosses the Deschutes River, inside the nation of Warm Springs.

The terrain we (me n my dog) were driving through is certainly cinematic. Mt. Hood stood out sharply against a blue sky. The descent into the Deschutes river valley is spectacular. After walking Syd, I let her nap in the backseat while I enjoyed a sandwich and salad, with coffee. The atmosphere was cheerful.

Hwy 26 Crossing Deschutes
Zoomed Out

Disc 2 of the High Sierra Criterion Collection had an entirely different movie adaptation of the same novel, entitled Colorado Territory. Same director. I had it on in the background, enough to match up some of the plot elements. 

I’m not sure this later 1949 adaptation featured a dog as a main character. I was too busy packing the car to pay close attention. I returned both discs on my way outta dodge.

One of our Wanderers is on a dig in some Etruscan excavation, and I’m getting sporadic updates. Another Wanderer is in Asia. We Wanderers get around.

Lifting the battery and solar panels into the bizmo was a two-person job.

Zoomed Out From Warm Springs
Zoomed Out More