Tuesday, September 01, 2026

Public Transit

SoundTransit

I’m giving high marks to the transportation machine, by which I mean the combination of planes, trains and automobiles (which includes buses) that participated in ferrying me to and fro this trip, not forgetting the ferry itself, from Kingston (Olympic Peninsula) to Edmonds, north of Seattle.

I thought I really got my money’s worth riding SoundTransit Link, Line 1, both ways ($3 each way), Lynnwood to Federal Way,  almost the whole distance, getting off and on at SeaTac. The Lynnwood to Stanwood bus is only $2.50.

In LA: Metro C line, all the way to the end (Norwalk) and back, with a connecting bus right to my destination. Pretty painless. Everything went smoothly. I was able to add funds to the Tap card at the Whittier Senior Center (my iPhone directed me there). 

Although I traveled light, Group 6 borders on United don’t get to bring a complementary carryon beyond the one personal accessory, like a brief case, so I did have to check a bag ($50), even though it was small enough to be a carryon. 

All these systems, including the airline and airport, the LAX Hilton with the shuttle, seemed to be humming along, getting the job done. The transportation machine is a vast global enterprise. I was experiencing a tiny sliver of it. 

Tomorrow I’m back to the adjoining network: the freeway system with its privately owned cars and fleet vehicles.

LA Metro System