Friday, September 04, 2026

Tek in Hindsight

Silicon Forest History

Dr D had mentioned this vid, and I'd mentally queued it, so yesterday I watched it for the first time. Edifying. Having visited VintageTek with Dr D and another geek earlier, I was already primed to get a more developed picture. Tek (Tektronix) was the premier cathode ray tube (CRT) innovator and manufacturer for quite long spell, and grew to have around 23K employees. Tek’s culture was of, by and for engineers in a way that shaped the larger surrounding Silicon Forest culture, for the better we like to believe (with some justification).

My particular slant on the Vollum story (Tek founder) was I noticed at his award ceremony at Fort Evans he was surrounded by DDUs, Dymaxion Deployment Units, what Bucky & Co were testing as a quickly deployable sheltering solution at the time. Butler grain bins had been an inspiration. This was pre dome and even pre his Wichita House (the one suspended from a utility mast). Or did I get that backwards? The Dymaxion car, house and map were all part of a science fiction projected lifestyle built around education automation i.e. the internet, around which MEMEX (Dr V’s vision) became AI (umbrella term for natural language models, which includes the visual “semes” from semiology).

Another slant I take is through the history of a partially overlapping company: Electro-Scientific Instruments (ESI), former owner of what became the Quaker Meeting House on Stark Street (since then greatly remodeled), in southeast Portland. Doug Strain, ESI’s founder, got a boost from what would become Hewlett-Packard, which ended up competing in the CRT market. ESI, like Tek, was in the business of precision measurement (metrology) and they created some products in partnership. Doug also endowed the Linus Pauling Center on SE Hawthrorne in Asylum District as well as the LP reading room at OSU, as well as supporting Pacific University in Forest Grove.