I’ve been prepping for Fall Term, lately focusing on the Generalized Pythagorean Theorem, which I started working on in my head during Meeting for Worship at Bridge City Friends. It came to me that I could move my thinking to actual paper later, but after doodling for a while I decided to check prior art, of course using Perplexity, my go to LLM of choice.
Music is also a focus. Although an acting principal, I’m likewise a student in my own school and I bore various time tunnels (query-key on “bore”) through new terrain when I can, or cross old terrain from a new angle.
Going into Fall, I’m looking at Mark Fisher, the British philosopher, in connection with his fluency around pop culture, post punk. He looked back somewhat fondly on Brutalism (in architecture) as boldness in the public sector, something missing when everything is privatized, as it is today.
The reference to post punk means asking what is punk and that takes us back to Sleater-Kinney, a Cascadian grrl band with connections to Weird City, Portlandia. Sleater-Kinney appeared at a McMenamins recently.
Aside from curriculum development, I’ve been getting back into my cycling groove post North Circuit and Whittier Loop (I daisy chained them).
On Saturday I took a least action geodesic to Voodoo Doughnuts, the bakery, then cycled south along Naito Parkway and under the Marquam Bridge (a double-decker for I-5) to Tilikum Crossing (one L), where I wheeled my bicycle onto an FX2.
Today, Labor Day, I certainly thought of Voodoo Doughnuts. There’s some attraction. However I set out on a vector towards the OMSI area with the expectation I’d be heading south the Sellwood, another favorite loop.
However, I cut it short upon noticing my water bottle and backup pump assembly was working its way loose, and I was close to losing the two screws irretrievably.
None of my keys (like the car key) fit the hexagonal screw heads snugly enough to tighten them securely, whereas I knew I had the right tool in a kitchen drawer (a whole set of hexers).
I decided to make the FX2 the deciding factor: if the bus were coming shortly, I’d board it and go back uphill, whereas I’d consider continuing to Sellwood if not.
In the latter case I’d’ve detached the assembly, snaking it to the back rack, and pocketing the screws. An FX2 was due in six minutes. So I took it home and effected repairs in my kitchen. I’ll do the Sellwood Loop another day.

