Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Catacombs

c6xty lattice

As some of you know, I've donned a Sociology hat and have been focusing on shaping relationships among "meetup-based" subcultures. I use "scare quotes" because of connotations around "meetup-based". Of course using Zoom a lot (a characteristic) is a recent development, galvanized by the SARS2 outbreak, and many of these subcultures were chugging along, sometimes famously, without the benefit of internet-based meetups for decades, if not centuries. Think churches, temples...

In tandem with these studies, I've taken up the topic of insect mentality, or shall we say dynamism. What are the deltas associated with an ant hive in particular? The metaphor of "tunnels under Disney World" has again arisen. I have to add: Catacombs. We're into the chthonic around here.  Mount Parnassus.

My thinking around the ants, inspired by Active Inference Institute faculty, DAF in particular, left me wide open to the sudden discovery of miner bees in my front lawn, at the base of the Tetrahedron, the pyramid of C6XTY beneath my front porch that makes helps Keep Portland Weird. Miner bees don't build a hive in a tree; they build individualized residences. Tiny mounds of dirt pop up, as a result of excavation. How catacombed these tunnels may be is a topic. Current answer: unknown. I'll read up on it sometime.

A household down the street was convinced it had a wasp infection and little warning signs went up everywhere, however I think it's likely merely a miner bee visitation for them as well, as the signs are now gone and, walking home last night, I saw a few tiny dirt mounds in the grass. This seemed to happen all at once around town (I say that now based on two data points), as if on a timer. 

YouTube says the world has over a thousand species of miner bee. They're not aggressive towards humans, don't or can't sting, and they cross pollinate. Gardners love them. They're not honeymakers though, so they're not usually "kept" in the beekeeping sense.

The Catacomb Codas. I've stuffed many a deep chamber with some of this Synergetics stuff. Detractors (or even entomologists) might picture me barfing up pabulum, weighed in tetra-somethings, anticipating this nurturing content will empower the colony going forward, the hive mind or whatever. 

At what level of consciousness does a hive operate? Put like that, the question is still a mirage, suggestive of a real question, still but a fevered dream. However, other questions might still be worth asking. Prompts get fine tuned.

Even though I've favored a Dark Theme in the Codas, a personal setting, I'm working to keep the subject matter non-turgid and easy breezy, partly because the purpose, architecturally, is transit, or liminal. Let's say vestibular. I'm meaning to sweep you onward, to your next flight, while providing a pleasant environment in the meantime. Enjoy your visit.