Thursday, February 08, 2024

Sociology Day

I'm in an intensive Sociology workshop today, in my city-as-campus Portland context. Right now, I'm connected to a Pashtun Institute guy based at Rutgers, soon to defend his thesis. We're talking about the concept of "national consciousness" via the Math 4 Wisdom channel. I'll embed the video when it becomes available.

Then I get my time with the retired librarians, drop in personalities, continuing the action at El Barrio, which burned up in a fire at the outset of 2024 (no one hurt, extensive property damage to El Mercado).

Finally, this evening I plan to attend a meetup of the rebooting Thirsters, a group of conversationalists with a strong background in sociology, academically, through Peace Corps and by other means.

I had a good first experience with Sociology as a discipline thanks to my 8th grade teacher at ASOR, Fred Craden

In my twenties, when I returned to Portland to settle long term, I achieved an adult level relationship with Dr. Charles Bolton, a career professor of sociology who first crossed paths with my parents in their University of Chicago days (when I was born).

These were notes I took during Aslam's meetup. I also posted some follow-up questions to the listserv.

Sociology Notes
From the homework readings:
Homework