Thursday, February 01, 2024

Cultish Thinking

Hollywood East is trying to figure out a screenplay whereby the White House might be seen as taking heroic action in some way, against an advertised foe. 

However the think tanks are at odds and firing at one another, adding to the sense of semi-paralysis that bedevils District "comic strips" these days. Very little consent has been manufactured, that driving the Pentagon over a cliff would be the best thing.

Of course my contemporary readers are well aware of world circumstances and will readily fill in the blanks. West Asia as we're now calling it has turned to jello, such that strict borders seem to no longer persist, such as between Jordan and Syria and Iraq in some places. I've heard the joke about "messy potamia" (not necessarily funny in every context).

You'll remember, if reading in my journals, that I could imagine some Palestinians voluntarily choosing, say at the extended family or neighborhood level, to escape the mayhem for now, and I wasn't restricting their options to elsewhere in West Asia. I well recall how hard it was for Jews during the holocaust to find safe refuge far away from Berlin.

That made me a minority thinker, as evacuation (removing from harm's way) was not a priority. No one wanted my cruise ship flotilla (I was imagining like a rotating convoy, not really knowing in advance how many Gazans would opt to dispatch).

The civilian viewers of channeled media are getting a front row look at what happens when diplomacy breaks down among players. I'm not on the phone with the District either. This is faraway Portland, lightyears distant. I'm more likely to be talking with Canadians these days (a hotbed of the kind of free thinking mixed with geometry I find attractive).

We all know what various characters in that soap opera want to do. If we're free of "just cable" and tuning in YouTubes, we're aware of a wider cast than just the ones the cable cabal puts on. I bounce around watching some of the VIPS crew, often as talking heads on others' programs.