Saturday, August 31, 2024

Food Services (Global U)

DSCF2662

When I want to model a minimal food setup, including for myself, I'm likely to think in terms of water (that's obvious) and Soylent, the white powder jokingly named, but also made of soy, so apropos.

In a place under siege, such as Gaza, it's not sufficient to have stockpiles of the powder, once the water goes bad. Brands like Nestles and Denali may come in too many small bottles, whereas the recipe at scale calls for tanker trucks.

What we hope and pray for, of course, are non-emergency situations. Two teams of scouts have agreed to a meetup, involving game equipment, say paintball, and for the duration of their engagement, canteens and or camelbacks of Soylent are all you get, in terms of nutrients. The point is to stay focused on the game and not get sidetracked into the intricacies of outdoor BBQ.

One may object to the cruelty of using humans as guinea pigs and I'd agree, assuming the collaboration of the humans in question is involuntary. In my own case, I'd go for days of only Soylent out of curiosity. Would my body die of boredom or send of signal flares in the form of cravings? I did not experience myself as self-hating. I was doing science.

What about pregnant women? Am I completely heartless?

Again, I'm more suggesting an approximation or simulation when it comes to Soylent, given the total calories per bag are easy to measure. 

We set up our Sims game "as if" they only eat Soylent, because we're in need of only so much realism, and no more. We keep the dry powder in sealed bags and add potable water as needed, at the point of service. 

Soylent users have been known to introduce alcohols at this point, to keep things lively and or to aid with sleep. If that's something we want to model, or experience for ourselves, that's an option. Again, coercion need play no part in this. I'm free to opt out.

No comments: