Thursday, April 21, 2022

I, Robot

My story on Medium, about a Physics of the Unconscious, is staying with me, as I work towards greater awareness myself.  First Person Physics.  Dr. Bob Fuller helped me evolve it, as a meme.

But when we wake into the first person, as a subject, it's not just a matter of like a light going on.  That's all Physics may seek to explain, the light.  The idea of consciousness as something pure and essential, some phenomenon we all agree on, brings a sense of solidarity at least.

The psychologist, on the other hand, awakens to new pathologies, new mental illnesses, both personal and collective.  What Physics seeks to explain our inner darkness, our waking dream?

The inertia of great forces tears at the fabric of what we all took for shared reality.  We're back to fighting like ghost armies, cast inside new fantasy worlds.  And so the world rolls forward, as we seek to improve its course.  We have a stake in the outcome.

Speaking of climate change, the climate has changed.  The machinery of mass death stalks us, our shadow self, our bot self. I, robot.

I admire diplomats trying to wrestle with the beast.

As a younger man, I remember being astounded that war would again erupt in Europe, and take out Yugoslavia.  I somehow imagined the seething cauldron of nation states had congealed its borders before I arrived.  I was just not that conscious of my place and time, in retrospect.

I felt Grunch of Giants, a Bucky Fuller book, was on the money when it talked about worlds in collision (paraphrase), i.e. the inevitability of a new psyche.  We would have to grow into our smaller world.  Growing pains.