Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Dark Knight (movie review)

I finally got around to seeing this, the Winterhaven list (I'm still lingering) somewhat taken aback by the violence, probably remembering the Batman of our youth, the quasi-sitcom on TV ("They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings"). A slogan for this version: "this Joker isn't joking".

So a lot of our gangster land stereotypes like "Chicago crime boss" inherit from Prohibition Era in the USA, a kind of Taliban period of Puritanical Sharia, which didn't work. Also, consenting adults couldn't date with an eye towards having sex, without one or the other (or both) being considered "up to something" of a criminal nature. Go read your psycho-history if you don't believe me.

In this more updated Gotham, it's not quite clear what the ferry boat people are really up to, sin wise. They're supposed to fail some Joker test of depravity, but don't let me spoil it for you. What we do know is batman is sinning. He lusts for that girl (who wouldn't?) and he's indulging in like superhero spy powers, worse than the NSA when it comes to listening in. The guy has clearly gone over to the dark side. We explore that in the subplot.

Anyway, my point being, it'd be difficult to recast this for Amsterdam or some of those Asian cities, which just don't share the same history. Remember that batman is an expat in some ways, and so probably confused by his role, which is why he needs that British imperial type (whom I like) to keep reminding him who he is.

I'm relieved Morgan Freeman is reporting doing well after that car crash and treatment in the Elvis Presley Hospital. I like him too.

By the way, my Google gmail is going crazy with the spam this morning. Where's the Joker when you need him?