Monday, July 29, 2019

A Deep Dive Into Racism


The Bellingham Museum of Civil Rights sets the stage for this scenario.

My usual banter about race is the annoying cleverism "a racist is anyone who believes in races". That doesn't get me very far on some dates (just kidding).

However in my two part lecture below, plus addendum, I go for some deeper history, and no, I don't mean the story of Noah again.


We've connected racism to some related concepts: eugenics (considered as pseudo-science); and labeling more generally. Edwin Black also wrote about the evolution of database technology in connection with denying people privileges.


My addendum gets into the specifics of the "bridge" we're using across the C.P. Snow chasm.


I wrote a companion Racism: A Study Guide, as a companion Medium story for these videos.