Saturday, December 22, 2018

Ethnocentrism

I'm putting a positive spin on "ethnocentrism" here, which may surprise some readers, but I think it goes with education being "place based" which I also favor.

Also, I see a lot of nuance when it comes to ethnicity, as one may easily adopt a fusion approach and combine several layers.  I tend to differentiate based on what's slow moving (slowly changing) versus what's potentially more fleeting, easy come easy go.

For example, in educating myself about Portland, I'm always encountering its Asian aspects, and consider that a part of my ethnicity.  "Ethnocentric" need not mean conforming to some stereotype, in other words.

Negative vibes around "ethnocentric" stem from how people foist ethnicity on one another, insisting upon conformity to this or that norm.  People don't like being coerced, so the ethnocentrism of others may leave a bad taste, to say the least.

However, one's ethnicity includes one's profession and the professions often require a lot of background and training.  Those resisting a hostile takeover of their corporate culture are unlikely to rise through the ranks of the invader.  You never know though; lots of fiction celebrates those who do.