Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dropped at Drexel

The following content failed to make it to the web archives.  I'm unsure if Joe got my reply, but I think so, given I got his to me.  This exchange was with respect to something that was published, one of my many renderings of a so-called "paradox".

Joe Niederberger via mathforum.org
Sep 20 (5 days ago)
to math-teach

>We have an algorithm for omni-triangulating a sphere with more and more triangles. Even if we toss out the paradox at the end, here's some educational meat, some substance (to go over this topic).
Can you provide a link to a picture of this?
Thanks
Joe N


kirby urner kirby.urner@gmail.com
Sep 21 (4 days ago)
to math-teach

Sure, these geodesic spheres on the left show the number of triangles increasing as a function of "frequency" (the number of intervals along each edge.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7785e11168c0d14532be00fef843f041
Here's some free software for the school children:
http://www.antiprism.com/programs/geodesic.html